||Postdoctoral Fellow - Epidemiology
This position will provide statistical and epidemiological support to a team of public health officials and scientists working on evaluation of a series of public health initiatives related to opioid use and overdose prevention.
The incumbent serves as a resource contact relative to the research project. Depth skills, knowledge, and interpretive abilities, as well as some creativity, are required to successfully perform duties. Independently uses professional concepts and organizational
policies to solve a wide range of moderate to complex problems in imaginative and practical ways. Work effort often addresses non-routine matters within established protocol, guidelines, and/or policies. Work effort has significant impact on client services
and operations, producing moderate to major organizational, legal and financial results and/or liabilities. Position duties require oversight of projects.
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities are functional in nature, and performed under limited supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
1) Provide statistical and epidemiological support to public health officials and scientists evaluating multiple public health initiatives related to opioid use and overdose prevention
2) Assist in the development of the evaluation plan(s); collection, preparation, monitoring, and analysis of data, and reporting
3) Attend research conferences and read scientific literature to keep abreast of technological advances and current research findings.
4) Identify and assist with acquisition of funding from public, private, and governmental sources.
a. Assist with development of novel research proposals for sponsor submission.
b. Write proposals, papers, and abstracts to attract research funds.
5) Search scientific literature to select and modify methods and procedures most appropriate for research goals.
6) Write and present research/study status reports for review and use of the Principal Investigator.
7) Prepare results of experimental findings for presentation to colleagues and the sponsor; at professional/technical conferences; and/or, for publication in scientific journals, as directed.
This position reports to the Principal Investigator. It normally receives no instructions on routine work, but will receive instructions/advice when starting a new project or when a difficulty arises in the current project. Typically determines methods or procedures
and consults with the supervisor on new assignments. General sharing of knowledge and team participation is expected in the role. Guidance or supervision of others may be required.
Requires physical abilities to perform laboratory research, including manual dexterity and abilities to see, hear, walk, talk, and feel. Individual is required to lift and carry items of 25 lbs or less or transport such items by cart. Walking and stair climbing
occur on a daily basis.
Work will be performed in a standard laboratory environment, using computers and laboratory equipment with electrical connections. The incumbent must comply with all laboratory safety procedures and clothing/equipment requirements. There will be exposure to
laboratory chemicals, electrical supplies, but protective measures will be provided.
Education and/or Experience
1) PhD in statistics, epidemiology, biostatistics or a related field;
2) Experience or applied coursework in collecting, computing, and analyzing statistical data and applied statistical techniques.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
1) Proficiency in SAS or Stata software.
2) Knowledge in epidemiology and public health.
3) Experience in data management and analysis.
4) Skilled at using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
5) Skilled at identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
6) The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
7) Ability to document and present the results of research.
8) Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format as well as use original or innovative techniques or style due to the nature of the scientific content of the material being presented.
9) Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to technical and non-technical audiences
10) Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
11) Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.).
12) Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
13) Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
14) Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
15) Ability to meet deadlines, as well as prepare, present and report results effectively.
16) Ability to collaborate effectively with a multidisciplinary team of co-investigators from diverse disciplines, orientations, and organizations.
17) Ability to do strategic planning for program development.
1) Technical skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; pursues training and development opportunities; assess strengths, weaknesses, and shares expertise with others.
2) Problem solving – Gathers and analyzes information, identifies problems, develops alternatives, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics and works well in groups and resolves matters timely.
3) Interpersonal Interactions in the Workplace – Manages difficult or emotional matters with objectivity and openness; responds promptly to needs and requests for service and assistance; meets commitments and dates, notifies others if change occurs; provides,
solicits and applies feedback; and builds goodwill through balanced contributions, positive approach, respect and support of others.
4) Communications – Demonstrates group presentation skills, participates in meetings, listens and gets clarification, is responsive and speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations. Writes and edits clearly and informatively, varies style
to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, and able to read and interpret written information.
5) Organizational Support – Aligns work and develops strategies to meet organizational goals; seeks to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; and upholds organizational expectations and values.
6) Self-Management – Responds to management direction; resourcefully adapts to changes in work environment and circumstances; responds well under pressure and manages competing demands; takes calculated risks, asks for and offers help when needed; exercise
discretion and sound judgment; is tactful and responsible for own actions. Adheres to work schedule and complies with leave management responsibilities.
Preferred Qualifications & Credentials
Education and/or Experience
1) Experience or applied coursework in program assessment and evaluation of surveillance systems.
2) Background in behavioral science, particularly in the field of addiction.
- AA/EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability/E-Verify Compliant Employer.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend