The purpose of this position is to facilitate computational analysis of next generation sequencing data sets of the Damron laboratory. Incumbent works closely with the Principal Investigator (PI) and other lab members to analyze data, design custom workflows,
data mining, and publication of data.
This position provides program, as well as direct internal and external client support services. Responds to inquiries and independently resolves matters of low to moderate complexity. Responsibilities require some judgment, resourcefulness, and originality,
but diverse guides and precedents are usually available to apply or adapt to the circumstances. Work effort has considerable impact on client services, program and project image, with potential legal liabilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities are functional in nature, and are performed under general supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
1) Analyze next generation sequencing data.
2) Perform bioinformatics analysis of data sets.
3) Write scripts for data mining.
4) Develop novel workflows for data analysis.
5) Perform statistical analysis of data.
6) Develop or maintain applications that process biologically based data into searchable databases for purposes of analysis, calculation, or presentation.
7) Write computer programs or scripts to be used in querying databases.
8) Enter or retrieve information from structural databases, protein sequence motif databases, mutation databases, genomic databases or gene expression databases.
Reports to the Principal Investigator. Normally receives minimal instructions on routine work, and general instructions on new assignments. Supervision of others is not required; however, sharing of knowledge with others and team participation is expected in
the role. Program, project or activity lead responsibilities will occur or be assigned in this position.
Must be able to operate standard office equipment including a computer, copy machine, printers, telephones, faxes, and others. Must be able to lift up to 30lbs. May occasionally require reaching to high or low places for lifting of files and other office items
and equipment. Activities are predominantly non-manual though some manual work may be included.
Normal office environment with shared space and equipment. Will on occasion experience external environment when preparing for and attending meetings, events, etc. Responsible to know and comply with all safety procedures.
The following have been determined as possible job exposures of this position requiring WVU Environmental Health and Safety medical monitoring:
1) Animal Contact – direct exposure to vertebrate animals, animal tissues or research with body fluids or wastes.
2) Human Pathogen and Biological Research (BSL2+/3) – for those working with or in proximity to certain biological agents.
Education and/or Experience
1) Bachelor’s degree in biostatistics, statistics, computer science, biology or related;
2) 2 - 4 years of experience of data management and analysis
3) An equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
1) Knowledge of statistics, algebra, geometry, calculus, and their applications.
2) Skilled in using computers and computer systems to program, write software, set up functions, enter data and process information.
3) Ability to evaluate data quality.
4) Ability to create databases to store electronic data.
5) Ability to prepare data for analysis and analyze data to identify or resolve problems.
6) Ability to develop procedures for data management.
7) Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
8) Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
9) Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
10) High attention to detail.
11) Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures.
12) Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
13) Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
14) Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
15) Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
16) Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
17) Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and provide effective communication with the team.
18) Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
19) Skilled at using computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to set up functions, enter data, or process information.
20) Skilled at compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data.
1) Technical skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; pursues training and development opportunities; assess strengths, weaknesses, and shares expertise with others.
2) Problem solving – Gathers and analyzes information, identifies problems, develops alternatives, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics and works well in groups and resolves matters timely.
3) Internal & External Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional matters with objectivity and openness; responds promptly to needs and requests for service and assistance; meets commitments and dates, notifies others if change occurs; provides, solicits
and applies feedback; and builds goodwill through balanced contributions, positive approach, respect and support of others.
4) Communications – Demonstrates group presentation skills, participates in meetings, listens and gets clarification, is responsive and speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations. Writes and edits clearly and informatively, varies style
to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, and able to read and interpret written information.
5) Organizational Support – Aligns work and develops strategies to meet organizational goals; seeks to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; and upholds organizational expectations and values.
6) Self Management – Responds to management direction; resourcefully adapts to changes in work environment and circumstances; responds well under pressure and manages competing demands; takes calculated risks, asks for and offers help when needed; exercise
discretion and sound judgment; is tactful and responsible for own actions. Adheres to work schedule and complies with leave management responsibilities.
- AA/EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability/E-Verify Compliant Employer.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend