||The SCADA Specialist is primarily responsible for directing the development, implementation, and maintenance of the Company’s supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following represents the majority of the duties performed by the position, but is not meant to be all inclusive nor prevent other duties from being assigned when necessary.
1. Complies with DOT and OSHA health, safety and environmental requirements and follows safety philosophy and procedures developed by the Company including: applicable environmental, health and safety rules, procedures, and accepted safe work practices, the
use of appropriate personal protective equipment and safety systems, and the reporting of workplace hazards and injury or illness arising from workplace activities; observes the workplace to identify conditions or behaviors that should be corrected and takes
2. Creates and executes the annual plan for maintaining, modifying, and upgrading the Company’s SCADA equipment and systems.
3. Compiles information for the development of the annual budget to support the annual plan; monitors expenditures against the budget, and obtains approvals for large expenditures.
4. Conducts research to determine the most appropriate and cost effective application of available SCADA technology.
5. Analyzes prospective SCADA hardware and software components, technical support materials, and information from equipment manufacturers and vendors to determine if SCADA hardware and software are capable of meeting current and future system requirements.
6. Evaluates the performance of existing SCADA and supporting computer systems against performance standards and recommends corrective measures to resolve problems or hires external repair services.
7. Manages the acquisition of equipment and software by developing material specifications for SCADA projects, creating approved bidder lists, evaluating bidder proposals, negotiating service and material contracts, recommending the
Development and Support
approval of bidder proposals, and purchasing the goods or services to meet Company needs.
8. Evaluates the qualifications of external providers of SCADA systems equipment and services and makes recommendations to hire qualified providers.
9. Provides technical advice and guidance in operation and maintenance of SCADA equipment and systems and the resolution of related problems.
10. Creates and presents training programs on the operation and maintenance of SCADA equipment.
11. Creates and maintains documentation and data archives relating to SCADA and compiles information and prepares reports reflecting operational SCADA activities.
12. Maintains and analyzes the operation of SCADA alarm management systems to identify trends, make recommendations and implement changes to configurations and documentation. Creates and maintains reports relating to SCADA alarm metrics.
||Education and Experience
• An Associate's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or its equivalent in education and five years’ of experience involving computer systems analysis and programming, is required. A Bachelor’s level of education in the same field and
experience within the pipeline industry is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to actively engage in safe behavior and understand and follow the principles and methods related to pipeline and workplace safety as established by the Company.
• Knowledge of emergency and safety procedures, policies procedures, equipment operating parameters, and all applicable DOT, EPA, FERC, DHS and OSHA requirements.
• Ability to utilize computer servers and workstations running various versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems, a proficiency in the use of office applications (e.g. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), AutoCAD and a proficiency in the use of various programming
and scripting languages (e.g. Perl, C, Visual Basic, and SQL) and application software is required to create new systems and to manage, record, and evaluate Company information.
• Well-developed written communication skills are required to develop written specifications, instruction manuals and training materials.
Development and Support
• Ability to detect, isolate and resolve information system problems.
• Well-developed oral communications skills are required to exchange technical Information with external vendors and internal personnel to develop equipment specifications and resolve problems.
• Frequent internal contacts are required with personnel at all levels of the Company to provide technical support to the SCADA and data communications systems, present training programs, and gather information relating to finances or operational issues.
• Frequent external contacts with vendors, contract programmers and other contractors to exchange information in order to develop, install, maintain, or repair SCADA and data communications equipment or software.
• Ability to effectively work and cooperate with supervisors, co-workers and vendors.
• Ability to follow corporate policies and the directions of supervisors.
• Ability to refrain from causing or contributing to the disruption of the workplace.
||Send This Job to a Friend